Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hill Repeats? Kill me now!


After the White Rock Marathon I decided to give my body a "break" from the long distance miles and decided to gear up for a half marathon.
I just started the 1/2 training program and am following a structured schedule again. It's a challenge - but it feels good to be working towards a specific goal again. I plan to run the Rock n Roll Dallas Half Marathon on March 27th. Wish me luck!
Well, I'm in week two of training - plenty of tempo runs, speedwork and long(er) 9milers I have completed.
BUT, Tuesday I almost died. I consider myself I fairly fit person until I attempted these "hill repeats" - I was suppose to do 7 of them. These 400meter hill climbs with a 400meter recovery lap. The hill climb was suppose to be at a 10% incline... Doesn't sound so bad on paper, right?
Well, try running the on the treadmill for a quarter of a mile at 10% incline (with only a 1/4 mile recovery) and repeat this 7times...
I thought I was going to have a heart attack right there in the fitness center! My face turned flush, my hands were numb, my heart pounding, my head spinning... I thought "this is how my clients must feel when they complain about possibly passing out!" Lol!
Well, I finished the workout... But it wasn't pretty and all the heavy breathing coming from my treadmill was awfully alarming, I'm sure!
Next Tuesday I have to do 8 - O.M.G.


talk about running uphill....

No comments: