Thursday, May 5, 2011

Let's get it started




Last Friday I met with my running coach, Jason Soria to OFFICIALLY start my training program for Chicago. It started with the dreaded assessment. This is sucky for two reasons: 1. you can't workout 24 hours before. 2. You have to kill yourself during the assessment to go anaerobic. I probably haven't hit my anaerobic threshold in over a year -- OMG, I about keeled over when I was done!
So, in the beginning of my training the goal is to teach my body to work optimally with its resources. Then gradually add volume and tempo work throughout the year. The key is putting enough stress on the body to dictate change, but allowing it to absorb fitness as well. Jason and I will be looking for trends with heart rate and pace to make adjustments as needed... Here we go!

After my assessment we determined my zones...
Zone 1 active recovery 0-137
Zone 2 aerobic 137-146
Zone 3 tempo 147-154
Zone 4 sub threshold 155-160
Zone 5 anaerobic 161-170


Wish me luck training in this Texas heat...ugh! 10 Miler this weekend...forecast? 90 and windy!

No comments: