Tuesday, April 13, 2010

26.2 Big D Marathon!

On Sunday I completed my very first marathon! It was the BIG D Texas marathon -- it started at the Cotton Bowl/Fair Park - went through downtown, around White Rock Lake, through the lake neighborhoods and ended back at Fair Park for a grand total of 26.2 miles!
I felt good about the race -- I remember reaching mile marker 17 and squinting to see it and thinking, "wow, 17 already...I feel great!" However, that changed quickly once I came across miler marker 21... just like everyone says, something changes after 20 miles and your body slowly shuts down...a.k.a "the wall" At that point my IT band tightened sooo much pulling at my knee causing significant knee pain for the next 5-6 miles. I could barely go a full stride! I never had this in training AT ALL -- but I also never did 20+ miles or did these many hills either! But I kept going and going! I finished (slowly) at 4:11:51 with a smile on my face and hands over head! yay! I had done it! My half split was 2 hours -- so I was a bit slower on the back half ... something to work on for next time. Yes, there will be a next time!
A HUGE thanks to my loving and supportive husband who saw me through all this training the last 3 months. Paul, you are amazing and I love you dearly! I can't imagine anyone else by my side at the end -- xoxo!


















No comments: